Thursday, December 1, 2011

Brandy Station, VA - Dec. 28, 1863 (#5)

Sarah Booth Dowie Acker - 1830-1909

My dear Sarah,

I rec'd your letter yesterday noon, soon after the close of service. Felt much releaved when I read that Lucy is with you. If Genie comes too I shall feel that you may get along quite well without “the man of the house.” But what if the man should come also! Of this there is now pretty fair probability. I have delayed exciting any expectations lest the whole matter should fail. But now it is decided that our Regiment will in a few days be ordered to Elmira to have furloughs of 35 days and after that time to spend 3 months recruiting. An order came two weeks ago, asking for “Veteran Volunteers,” that is for the 3 yrs. men to re-enlist for 3 yrs. Offering if  ¾ of any Regt. should thus enlist to send them home as soon as the nec. Papers are made out. The Officers in the 86th immediately commenced work and we find that nearly all the men are ready to re-enlist. The inducements are 1) to get home, 2) to get the large bounties offered to veterans, amounting in some localities to $1300, 3) to help finish up the war.

I have been very busy for some time helping to make out the multitude of nec. papers. “Musters out” “Musters in” “Old discharges” “New Furloughs” “Pay rolls” “Final Statements” &C &C of each man. The Colonel is busy to-night signing these. A muster-in Officer will probably be here on Wed. to muster in the men as Veteran Volunteers. The next day they will be paid off. And on Friday or Saturday we expect to leave for Elmira. Yet it may be a month before we all get away. I will write you again before I see you. In the meantime better not send any more letters to me here. In case of necessity send one here and also one to Elmira and I will be likely to get one. Can't tell how long we may be obliged to remain at Elmira before obtaining a leave of absence.

Friends in this & the 124th consider me quite fortunate in becoming a Veteran in forty days & enjoying his privileges. I must confess that I exceedingly rejoice at the turn affairs have taken. Altho I had prepared myself to endure all that might be required during the winter here I am none the less willing to spend at least a part of that winter more comfortably & nearer home.

It is known here that 33,000 out of this Army of 75,000 have re-enlisted for 3 yrs. Who, in the face of such facts, will dare to say that the soldiers are tired of, & dissatisfied with, the war?

My Chum, the Quarter Master will come home to-night. He has been home on a furlough of 10 days. Col. Cummings & Capt. Benedict are back. They have been in to call. Yesterday was rainy. Held very interesting services morning & eve. In the Commissary tent. Preached on “Prodigal Son.” Wrote Mrs. Church & Mr. Wilcox last week.

Now with your Christmas tree? At one time I thought we might get away so that I could just have time to come as Santa Claus Christmas Eve to my little girls & boy. And I am sure I felt like bringing on my back a good large bundle for them. How grand it would have been, after filling stockings & shoes & boots, to run upstairs & pull all your toes to wake you up even at night to see Kris Kringle & what he had brought. I have been interrupted by Capt. Meips of the 124th & a couple of our men. It is now 11 o'clk. The bugles & drums have long ago sounded the “Tatoo” for bed. So I will bid you all good night. Hoping to see you before many nights are past. Quarter Master has just now come. Hear that we will not get off till next week. Have very cold weather. Well now you need not send names of couples &C.

Love to all,
Your Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment