Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Letter #4 - Brandy Station, VA - Dec. 20, 1863


My dearest Sarah,

I have tried above to sketch my Wigwam. But it is new business & almost a failure. In figure I. the line CH ought not to appear. Hence Fig. II. CBDHOP is a wall tent made of strong canvas. In summer the bottom OP is fastened by pegs to the ground. Ropes from DH are attached to poles driven in the ground a few feet from the tent. Two upright posts from CB to the ground support a horizontal pole CB. Now for winter use we log up EOPI & set the tent on top. Gives more room, the lowest part higher than my head. In addition are log up HIGK. Run a pole from B to A on the upright VA. Over this stretch what is here called a fly tent or A tent, a small tent used by Captains & Lieutenants. The crevices between logs are filled with mud and the tent nailed securely to the top log.

The Quartermaster & I have separate beds. In figure IV. his is at C. mine at B. Cook sleeps away. Mine is made of boards raised up from the ground on poles. I sleep warm, no cold feet except one or two nights. F is fireplace of brick. Seldom smokes. Takes large logs & gives good heat. D is Desk. F Table for eating. I am now writing by it because nearest to the fire. Pretty cold today. We have had severe rain storms but none beats through. No snow yet. Tell Lulu it did not rain here on your rainy Sunday. On the contrary so warm & pleasant the men sat outdoors an hour & a half while we had service. This is the coldest day we have had. Preached in the Commissary's tent from Acts 5:31. More than half of the Regiment is off on Picket duty. And nearly all the remainder on Brigade Guard so that but few were left for worship - mostly Officers.
[sideways on the page] Love to you all. Lulu hurry up your letter. Awaiting it.

The surgeon of the 124th was over. I take breakfast with him tomorrow. Have just been in to see two men sick in one tent. One will probably soon die. Has just given his heart to God & feels prepared & resigned. Has a wife and 3 children. They expect him home on a sick leave.

Monday. The soldier is dead. We will bury him this PM. I shall immediately write a letter to his wife. He has been sick since the middle of June & it is a burning shame that a furlough could not be obtained. Chaplain Bradner will probably go home to-day. It is about time for his application for a leave of absence to be returned approved. Only 10 days are allowed. I shall try to get home in March or April. All officers are mustered in for 3 yrs. none less. The probability is that all will be mustered out the 1st Oct. at which time the Rgt. Goes out. Eighty of the Rgt. have re-enlisted. They will soon go home on a furlough of 30 days.

When you send a box, get the box of marking ink at the store & mark my name plain with my office - 86th Rgt. Army of the Potomac. The boxes of privates are opened - Officers not. I am in need of nothing that I now know of. You will have seen Charly Bull by this time. I wish you all a Merry Christmas. Hope Santa Claus will be good to our little girls & boy. I really hope Lucy is with you now. I think you did wrong in staying alone. A couple of weeks of school would not be so much a matter to Ellen as safety to you & children.

I have written to Mrs. Church. The sermon she sent was a poor affair. One of the men washes for me at the rate of 3 pieces for 25 cents. We get the daily papers quite regularly in Camp. Would like to get a #5 library for the men if you would like to collect it from your visitors. I don't want my circulars. Wish you would send me in your next a card of about 2 dozen postage stamps. I am entirely out & must borrow for this. I feel very sad over the death of Bovine [the name of the soldier mentioned earlier]. Am glad I was permitted to direct him to a Saviour. How terrible for his family to receive my letter instead of their father and husband. We will bury him in a beautiful pine knoll. Have received Mr. Ferrier's letter. Will write today to Ostner and Jimy Layton who is about to join the Church

I received your good long letter Saturday night. Had been long awaiting it. Be more careful in making 86th Regt. That is the most important next to my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment