Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Letter #2 - Washington, DC - Dec. 4, 1863


My dear Sarah,

I have received my pass to go to the Army tomorrow morning (Saturday). I have been compelled to spend just a week in Washington uselessly. Yet am glad that release comes so soon. The Army is back again in its old quarters this side of the Rapidan. In its last battle the Colonel of my Regiment, Higgins, was badly wounded. Report has it that he has since died. I am anxious to be at work---improving this beautiful weather. I know not how it is with you but here the air is warm & balmly like May.

I received today $50 from Peter by Express. Hope Lucy [Sarah's older sister] will be with you soon. And I trust that we shall both spend a profitable winter. The probabilities are that The Army will now go into Winter Quarters.

I expected a letter from you to-day. Am anxious to know just how matters are progressing with you. Tell Lulu [eldest daughter] it is almost time for her first letter. Say to Satie [younger daughter] I have not been compelled to lie out of doors, tho' many a night I would have given much to have my little bedfellow. I dreamt of Harry [his infant son] last night. That I had put him in a sleigh & pushing him quickly he fell off & hurt his head. How much I would like to see you all tonight. I am in a 'snug' room. Have spent most of the day here preparing an Article for the Evangelist - which see &C &C. [?]

I have written to Mr. Ferrier the minutes of Lipine &C. I will write you again from the field. Don't fail to look at meat barrels to see if the brine is well above the boards. I somewhat expect that the beef barrel may leak at first.

Any more to add to Donation? Good Night, now, loved ones. We shall enjoy the more meeting after a long unpleasant separation.

Kind remembrance to all,
Your Henry

[a postscript] I send you leaves picked from the estate of Rebel General Lee, where a contraband camp is now formed on Arlington Heights.

No comments:

Post a Comment