Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Letter #3 - Brandy Station, VA - Dec. 7, 1863


My darling,
You are far, far away. Yet scarcely for an hour absent from my mind. It is a comfort to run over, miser fashion, the list of my treasures. Sarah, Lulu, Satie & Harry. Your letter on my birthday contained some new and true thoughts which were cheering and food for after thought. I will mark my slippers as you propose & so long as they last be thankful to the donor. Spent the 29th in Washington. Attended Dr. Orlando’s Church. In his absence heard an indifferent preacher. On Wednesday Eve I went to a prayer meeting in the same church and made some remarks and received encouragement and some warm prayers in my behalf.

On Friday afternoon we recd papers to go to the Army. The next day left Washington at 9 ½ o’clock PM and arrived at Brandy about dark. Found my Regt. after a walk of a mile and a half. The Officers and men seemed glad to see me. I slept that night in the QuarterMaster’s tent. He is a lawyer from Corning, NY. Said the Colonel said I could tent with him. Think I shall like the arrangement. He has charge of the Wagons, Horses, food and tents, clothing, & c of the Rgt. We can have more conveniences carried than any of the Officers. They have put me up a small bed raised from the ground & covered with cedar boughs which the men call Virginia feathers. I put my cork bed on that & have slept quite well. Yet would like to be near my little bedfellow. To-day a company of men detailed by the Col. For that purpose are putting us up a log cabin. It is surprising to a novice how comfortable these are made. The room is made about 12 ft. square. Cracks filled with mud which here in Virginia is a regular mortar. Above it they put a tent for a roof. A good chimney & fireplace is soon built of stone. Some have floors, the boards taken from some torn down house. The Surgeon is to room with us-a fine young man. A private to cook completes our Mys.


Had for dinner today Beef Steak, Roasted Potatoes, Bread, Coffee, Sugar & condensed milk. Have had Pork & beans. Cook says he is going to make an apple pudding tomorrow. Sunday was a cold, windy day. Had no worship outdoors. On dress parade I was introduced to the Rgt. By the Col. And I made a few remarks to the Officers and men. Held a prayer meeting in the Eve. In one of the tents. They will be held daily.

Was mustered into the U.S. service today for 3 yrs or sooner discharged. My muster-in pay dating Nov. 27th which was the day I appeared at Washington ready for duty. So now I am a regular soldier boy. Think I shall like camp life & work. The probabilities are that the Army will fall back to Manassas or Centerville & go into Winter Quarters. I find that it will be almost impossible to obtain on any consideration a leave of absence before Spring. Hope to hear soon that Lucy & Genie are with you.

My little pets. Lulu & Satie. Papa is right among the men who fight and he will try to teach them to be good & to do good. I am glad that you pray for me and ask God to keep me alive. When the birds come back from the South in the spring I guess I will come . Then you will all be larger & Harry will run to the door to meet me. You won’t cry so hard when I come as when I went. I pray for you every day. Be good girls and help Mama and I expect to get Lulu’s letter soon.

Sarah write me soon whatever in house or parish would interest. Am not very sorry squirrel is dead. Less trouble. Your Henry.

No comments:

Post a Comment