Tuesday, November 29, 2011

First Letter


Washington, DC
Nov. 29th 1863

My dear Sarah,
I am spending my 30th birthday in our National Capital instead of the camp as I had expected. The probabilities are that I may be compelled to remain here some days. But I will go back and write up.

After leaving you I had a sad enough ride to Warwick. Found Mr. & Mrs. Bull there waiting. He took me up to have a farewell oyster stew as there were about 20 minutes time & the Conductor promised to wait. In getting on the cars the president of the [?], Mr. Burt, put in my hand $2 saying he was not able to get up to our party. Arrived home [NYC] at 10:30. Found Celia gone to the Museum. Concluded to go directly to bed & make up for lost time [two little scribble notations suggest he is alluding to “activity” that kept him up the night before].

Pa is suffering very much with his eye. The Doctor told Mrs. Engler that he would never see again. Saw Peter [Sarah's younger brother] in the morning. Little Peter and Jonas came down on Monday. Say Aunt Lucy [Sarah's oldest sister ] will come in two weeks. Peter did not know yet what to do with Jonas. Will decide I suppose before Lucy comes. I told him we were willing to receive him, have him go to school, help a little about house, but said nothing about board.

Bought my outfit as follows: 1 Cork bed, 1 poncho (a square piece of rubber cloth with a hole to slip over the head), 1 rubber blanket, 1 rubber air pillow, thick high boots, liquorice, gum arabic, Brown's troches. Whole amt. $22. Paid ABC F.M. [?] $24 & left 10 at home. Could not settle the other two bills. If they are ever sent to you inform me.

Ma gave me two dark woolen blankets and I left mine. Started for Washington with the 7 ½ evening train. Arrived at 6'oclk in the morning of Saturday. Obtained my pass for the “front” altho none know where the front was, the army having moved on Thursday.

It rained hard & we had a dismal, unsafe ride to Rappahannock Station on the river of that name. The cars went no farther. A small company of men was there to guard the road. They knew nothing of the Army. A number of Officers who had come in two days before were waiting to return. The Cars were to return immediately & I had to go 1 ½ miles farther to obtain a pass to return. I had secured, on the upward passage the “good will” of the Conductor, chiefly by means of some of the sandwiches you had put up. And he promised to wait 15 minutes for me. Off I started thru mud & mire. Borrowed a horse of a man & rode rapidly. Obtained my pass, jumped on board & off we went. Arrived at the St. Charles 10'oclk tired & touchy, uncertain what to do. The Army may be getatable in two or three days, it may be as many weeks. In the meantime my small allowance goes at the rate of $2 per diem unless I can find cheaper lodgings. To go to New York would be equally costly. Am not mustered in. It has to be done in the field since my Regiment is there. Have concluded to send to Peter for some money - Churchtime. [top of page 1] Saint Charles Hotel, Cor 3rd St. & Penn Ave., Washington. 

I will write you as soon as anything [decisions?] . Should like to see you & my dear little girls & boy. May God bless and keep you. Many kisses for you all. [No space left on the page for “Your Henry.”]



No comments:

Post a Comment