Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Camp at Culpeper, VA - March 3, 1864


My dear little Girls Lulu & Satie,
I call my horse "Billy Brown" - Billy because I think that is the next best name to "Charlie" [the name of their horse at home] & "Brown" because he is somewhat brown in Color, and I think it jingles well with Billy. I hope one of these days you may see “Billy Brown” because he is my good friend. And I know you will like him for being good to me. He has just brought me back from the place where men try to shoot us. I will tell you about the long ride I took on his back.

Last Saturday morning about 5'olk, long before you had opened your eyes, all the soldiers in our division were up eating their breakfast, & packing up their blankets, & filling leather bags, called knapsacks, with food enough to last them five days. They took their guns & powder & balls enough to shoot 40 times.

All these things, blankets, tents, food, powder & balls they carried on their backs & their guns on their shoulders. I harnessed Billie just as I use to harness Charlie when I wanted to ride on his back. Behind the saddle are fastened two bags of leather, one to hang down a little ways on each side. These are called saddle bags. In the bags I put the nice walnut cakes which Mama made, a loaf of bread cut in four pieces, and about 20 hard soda biscuits which soldiers call “hard tack.”

awful stuff! more about it here: http://cecomhistorian.armylive.dodlive.mil/category/civil-war/
 I rolled up two blankets in my rubber blanket called a “poncho” and strapped the bundle behind the saddle. Then fastened the spurs on my heels which I use instead of a whip to make Billy go. Put on my overcoat & gloves & was ready.

At 6 ½ 'oclk the drums & fifes began to make good music calling the soldiers together. And away we marched, tramp, tramp, tramp. Billy liked the music & wanted to go sideways. Soon we could see other men in Regiments hastening from different quarters. And they came together in a large field about 5000 men. Then they formed into one line, four men side by side & so moved off. By this time the sun was up & it was a pretty sight. This long line stretching over the hills, the light reflected from their guns.

By & by we came to a village about as large as Warwick called Culpeper. We passed thru the streets, flags flying, drums beating & the soldiers marching in a proud style. On we went past scattered farmhouses deserted or in ruins. At last we saw a collection of houses, just nine. I asked a Negro woman what place they called it and she said “James City.” Two miles farther on we stopped in a field and the soldiers commenced making coffee.

We were told that we should stay there all night. It was 2 ½ 'oclk. But our regiment was told to go about one mile farther, on picket. That is we were to keep watch while the rest slept, that the enemy could not hurt them. Our soldiers were placed in this way:


The straight marks on top stand for soldiers on guard in sight of each other. The next are the different companies each by itself. The house[*] is the one in which the Colonel & his staff including myself staid. Our horses were tied to peach trees near the house.

We made a large fire in the fireplace & after eating our supper of coffee & bread lay down on the floor to sleep. As it was my first night so near the enemy it could not be expected that I would sleep well and I didn't. I slept with one eye & one ear open. Heard every scratch of a noise. As the night was very dark I imagined how easily 20 men could walk through the line, surround the house, seize the horses & kill or capture us all. The Colonel & Major too I noticed were restless. I was glad when morning came. After eating breakfast of coffee & bread I saddled Billy & rode out with the Colonel along the whole picket line to see that the soldiers were all doing their duty. Then we rode over to the camp & took dinner of coffee & bread with Col. Cummings. In the afternoon we pitched quoits a long while for it was a beautiful day & we had nothing to do or read. In the afternoon some men brought us plenty of fresh beef just killed. And we made our supper of coffee, bread & beef.

That night I slept well & dreamt of home til 3 'oclk when a soldier who had been watching our horses pulled my toes and asked what time it was. I found it was snowing and the day proved to be cold & rainy. We staid in the house walking about & telling stories. The next also I slept well and early in the morning a man came & told us to get ready to go back to camp. At 7 'oclk we were on the road & found the whole division moving off in line toward our old camp. The sun rose clear & soon melted the snow & ice. The mud became deep & yet the soldiers marched on, tramp, tramp, tramp. During the night the rain had frozen icicles on the trees & they looked like strings of diamonds glistening in the sun. The road led over hills & through woods. And Billy carried me along nicely so I think I never enjoyed a ride more. At 2 ½ 'oclk we arrived in our camp tired & hungry & so ended my first march with Billy.

Friday
Today a Rgt. went home and we have moved into their shanties. Very nice ones. Quarter Master & I have the best tent & now feel very much at home. The sides of our house are covered with pictures. The men come in to look at them.

I received Mama's last letter which told me, Satie, that you were so badly burned & that you wanted your dear papa to sleep with you that night. How I did wish I could get right by you & I think we would both have felt better. I have been looking for some little wildflowers to send you but they have not peeped out yet. In Culpeper I saw beautiful yellow daffodils. As they were over a fence in a garden I could not get any.

I wish you would tell Harry, Lulu, that I am glad he loves his little sisters so much & tries to comfort them when they feel badly. I hope he may grow fast & be a real good boy. You will have to teach him to be good. Today I have been a good while with a poor sick man, one of the Captains. I expect I shall go to Washington with him in a few days. I hope you will soon write me a good long letter. Many kisses for my little girls & boy from

Your Papa

Photo is probably the actual house [*] mentioned and depicted in HJA's sketch above, with what could be peach trees in the grove to the right. (Source: http://www.old-picture.com/theme-index-001.htm)

My dear Sarah,

You may read all the news in the children's letter, and there is not much else in that line to give you. Owing to the march I could not preach last Sabbath. We now lie side by side with the 124th and for the purpose of drawing out their Chaplain I have arranged with him to have a union service for 2 Sabbaths. On Sunday I preach & he takes the other exercises. The Sunday after Vice Versa.

I send the cards of Sergeant Major (sitting), a fine, pious man, and 1st Lt. Therber of Capt. Harrower's Co. Shall gradually secure the whole number of Officers. Did I send Capt. Gault's in my last? He is now sick. I wish Mr. Ferrier would sell my horse at the first opportunity. I shall write him soon. I wish you would write Celia [his sister] or Ma. They feel anxious to know of your welfare & doings. Expect to hear from you tonight. Your letters are stimulating & comforting.

With much love,
Your Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment