Monday, December 5, 2011

Marshall House, Alexandria, VA - Feb. 25, 1864



My dear Sarah,

We left Elmira Monday 22nd at 2'oclk P.M. I spent one eve. With Quarter Master at Corning and from Friday to Monday noon with Capt. Harnower at Lawrenceville. Enjoyed the visits much, especially the latter. Preached my war discourse Sunday Eve'g. & secured a library for my Regt. Had just concluded to come home on Friday when I was prevailed upon to go into Pennsylvania instead. Took dinner & tea with a couple of Swans, cousins of Swan in Amity & relations of the Owens introduced by Norman. One is an Insurance Agent, the other a merchant. Both doing a good business. Went with the family of the latter in the evening to hear John Gough lecture on “Peculiar People.” Sarah and William stopped with them about a week last summer.

Came near selling my horse for $125. But concluded to keep him. He had improved so much that I could not ride him till the groom has sobered him in a two miles ride. Had to pay $1 a day for his keeping. The Commission of Govt. Oats & Hay paid all but $20 of his bill. Arrived at Washington yesterday at 3 olk. P.M. Came here this morning. Leave at 6 olk. Tomorrow morning for the front. The Rgt. only 200 stronger than when we came home. Held religious services in the barracks this evening and am now about going to bed probably for the last comfortable snooze till next winter.

Capt. Todd & I sleep in No. 7 which was the bedroom of Jackson, out of which he came when he shot Ellsworth. If he comes to claim his bed tonight I will give him a piece of my mind. You know he was immediately shot by Ellsworth's men. Could not get my pay in Washington. Our paymaster being now in the army. Will probably be paid by the middle of next month.

One of our men took from the letter box in Elmira a letter for me but not expecting to see me re-mailed it “Washington.” It will probably be awaiting me in the front. Am anxious to hear from you all. Have been a little troubled about Harry & Satie's health. Should like to see you all tonight. But will keep up good courage till Providence opens the way for a return to you. Saw Waterbury, Thompson, Jas & Wm. Sly in Goshen. They were waiting at Depot to see me as the train went by. May God keep you safely & prosper you in everything good, is my daily prayer & a wish that finds silent utterance in all my thoughts of you.

Kind remembrance to friends
Your Henry

NOTE: Some cool info & images like the one below about Marshall House here:
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=82420


No comments:

Post a Comment