Saturday, December 17, 2011

#9 - Culpeper, VA - March 27th 1864

 
My darling Sarah,

I have just come from our prayer meeting in which we evidently had the presence of God’s Spirit. And want to spend a little time before I retire in talking to you. I have enjoyed this day far more than last Sabbath. Then it was cold and windy, so that we could have no service outdoors. The hospital was full of patients, which preventing our using that; no other could accommodate us and as a consequence we held no preaching service.

In the evening had prayer meeting at the tent of Capt. Baker. This has been a beautiful day. Brigade drill occupied the Regt. In the forenoon. At 2 ½ o’clock we went up to the theatre. About 300 came together. There were five chaplains present. The men attentive and solemn while God helped me to preach to them about “The great Bargain” from the text. “What will it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his Soul?” I urged the importance of immediate attention to the salvation of the Soul in view of what is before us in the Summer. And I sincerely trust and pray that some who heard me may lay the truths to heart.

This evening there was apparent a determination in the minds of the brethren to labor during the week for the spiritual good of their Comrades. I hope you may speedily hear that God is converting souls in the 86th Regt. We have a meeting of all the chaplains in the Brigade tomorrow at 10 o’clock in the Commission tent. Chiefly for the purpose of providing extra services for Rgts. that are without chaplains.

Mr. Bradner preaches next Sunday. Intend to spend part of the week in preparing a Sermon on “The Unsearchable Riches of Christ.” Shall write to Presby. Intended to do so before receiving Johnson’s letter. Will write also to Mr. Ferrier and a paper for the “Amity-Chip Basket.” Am glad to hear that Willie is getting bitters. I had expected to take you all by surprise in a short 10 days’ visit the early part of next month. But an order came in yesterday allowing leaves of absence for only 3 days. So that unless I lose my health I shall not be able to see you before next winter. Good night now. I go to you in thought. Run upstairs to take a peep at the little ones and am back to go to my lonely couch.

Friday afternoon April 1st. I carried this sheet of paper in my pocket while we were busy changing camp. Hence wrinkled and soiled.

Important changes have taken place in our Command since I wrote you on Sunday. The 3rd Corps has been merged in the 2nd Brigades in our Division formed from the 3rd. And we styled the 3rd Div. 1st Brig. So now we are 1st Brig., 3rd Div., 2nd Corp under General Hancock. I give you this for it may be useful in helping you to trace us when we move. As a consequence we moved over to the 2nd Corps yesterday morning.

Queer moving time! Soldiers carrying everything they can to make themselves comfortable in their new quarters. I saw some with chairs & even doors on their backs. We went into the camp of a Regt. That had just left. In most cases the soldiers had only to stretch their shelter tents over the shanties & they were ready to stay. The 86th & the 124th lie together. We have a regular board house, roof & all, formerly occupied by the surgeon & chaplain. A heavy oak-grained door, white knobs like ours, two windows. This Rgt. had torn down a house in the neighborhood & took the materials for building. I found a good sized Chapel, no roof, however.

Went today to Brandy Station & have obtained a covering from the Commission. It is already on & we are ready for service in a church of our own. By the way -- you spoke of the Commission Tent. They have a depot for books, papers, delegates etc. at Brandy Station. Also sub-stations in most of the divisions of the Army. They put up a large canvas tent, provide benches, etc. Generally two delegates attend to it. Hold meetings every evening, singing schools & temperance meetings. During the day these delegates visit among the Rgt. That have no chaplains. At that place I get weekly a supply of religious papers for our men. They have asked me several times to preach for them. I did so one evening. On other evenings made extended remarks & spoke once in a temperance meeting. I think the Commission are doing a good work for the men.

The change of Corps will not affect the safe arrival of the box you send.

Received a letter from Celia saying they move in April to a house in 42nd St near 10th Avenue. And that Hobart is to be married May 25th to a farmers’ daughter.

Read in the Orange Country paper an account of the fire at Newport. Sad accident! I feel very sorry for poor Mrs. Walting. You remember she told us with evident delight that they could now manage to keep the place & live comfortably.

I send you the photographs of Capt. Vincent [*] of our Rgt. & Chaplain Keys of the 9th NY Cav.

I wanted the more to come home after I received yours mentioning the sickness of the children. Am anxious to learn from you concerning them. I am sending you so many cards. I hope to receive some in return soon. Paymaster still delays.

Hope I shall be able to get $50 to Peter [Peter Dowie; Sarah’s youngest brother who was about to enlist] before he leaves. Shall send it to him through Celia. Since Lucy can’t get in her house before June shan’t I send my resignation to take effect June 18th instead of May 1st? You know my leave of absence extends to that time. I will leave a blank and you can tell Mr. Ferrier (to whom I will send it) to fill it with May or June.

I wish William [William Dowie, Sarah’s brother, who also served in the Civil War] could arrange to come to New York for his spring business in time to accompany and help you in your journey. I hope to receive a letter from you tonight. This has been a fickle April day. Beautiful this morning. Rainy this afternoon.

For the past two hours I have felt that I would like very much to be home. I want to see and talk with you and Lulu and Satie and Harry. I realize as never before how much I am dependent on you for happiness. There is much of novelty here … and friendship and kindness. But no such loving hearts as I find in my own quiet home. The greatest sacrifice that we make is this separation from home.

My dear little girls. I can’t find a flower yet to send you. It may be that the primroses will be out before the wildflowers are here. I will send you the first I find. Was very sorry to hear that you had such a cold. I trust God will keep you well and safe till I return. Goodbye and write me one of your good letters. I don’t know but that the best thing in the box that you send will be a letter to me.

Sarah-You can say to Mr. Ferrier that he may sell Charlie [the horse at home] for whatever he will bring. I shall be fully satisfied with whatever he owes in the matter.

With much love
your Henry

*Some details here - including the image above - about Capt. Nathan Vincent:
http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/djw/86th.vincent.html

No comments:

Post a Comment